Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hope for trafficking victims?

In case anyone has noticed, I haven't been posting much lately here.

There's been less stuff coming through on the private Natashas email list. But mostly, it's because this topic can be so depressing ... the overwhelming enormity of it makes it seem futile.

And, I've discovered The Secret, and have been focussing on the positive or, rather, getting positive results in my own life. Adjusting one's life outlook requires a paradigm shift, and that takes a big chuck of concentration.

As with the Holodomor, I've been reluctant to personally get too deep into the trafficking issue, lest despair overtake me.

But, as I apply The Secret in my own life, I wonder if maybe that reluctance is actually working at cross purposes to my desire to do something to help trafficking victims. I put up this blog thinking it was one thing I could do, and while it's moving up in the Technorati rankings, it's not exactly getting a gazillion hits a day, a week, or even a month... much less improving the situation.

What I've done in my own life is use The Secret to visualize my stepdaughters' recovery. They have been addicts all their adult lives. Both are now in their 30s. We've watched them go in and out of recovery programs, feeling helpless to do anything as they certainly did not want any help we could offer them.

One of them has 4 beautiful children and a wonderful husband, and had abandoned them for life on the street and crack cocaine. But just a little over a week ago, it occurred to me to use The Secret to help her (and her sister). So I told hubby that we need to just visualize and believe that she is healed, healthy and happy. In truth, we had in the past never really got beyond the hoping stage, you know, the old "hope for the best but expect the worst" mindset.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but the very next day we got a call from her husband, saying she'd left a "farewell" (I'm going to commit suicide now) message on his cell phone, which he rarely takes to work, but for some reason did this day. We'd shared The Secret with him, and so he asked "The Universe" for instructions and then immediately called 9-1-1.

Within 10 minutes the police found her, brought her into the hospital and locked her into a psyche ward where, for the first time in over a decade, there was finally a shrink actually interested in helping her and getting her completely off drugs instead of just giving her another prescription.

The next day, her husband was not able to go and visit her, and it just so happened that I was going to a meeting that morning that had been postponed from an earlier day. Wouldn't you know it, I was going to be very near the hospital. Although I had no idea if she'd be receptive to a visit from me, and in fact I had sworn I would never again have anything to do with her (that's how bad the situation was), I felt compelled to go and see her. There, we made polite small talk, but I was able to briefly mention The Secret. I asked her to promise me that she would start to think of what she wants instead of what she doesn't want, i.e. addiction and the misery it has brought her and the rest of us.

I left her, rather depressed after our encounter which seemed at the time a waste of time.

It wasn't. What I said apparently has resonated so strongly with her that, according to her husband, she actually is changing her behaviour, facing her past (for the first time) and facing the future with optimism. She is a believer of The Secret and hasn't even read the book or seen the movie!

And, that same day that she was brought back, my husband heard from her sister, for the first time in about two years.

The rapidity of these turnabouts is nothing less than astounding and cannot possibly be attributed to anything other than our faith in The Secret and applying the law of attraction. While we asked on their behalf, it was actually for ourselves, because we so want them to be healthy, happy and whole, and part of our lives. Their complete and total recovery is very real to us, and the speed at which our vision is manifesting itself is almost dizzying.

So it makes me wonder.... if enough people believed and applied The Secret to trafficking victims, couldn't it result in similar success for them?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Pawlina,
I appreciate your blog and desire to write about the overwhelming problem of human trafficking. I work with street children in Ukraine and it is indeed difficult to work daily with subjects that are so sad and desperate. I want to encourage you to keep blogging about this subject. I have had to dig deeper in my faith in God as I work with homeless children and God's strength is what keeps me going. Hang in there.....

Pawlina said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Michelle. Indeed, faith is the only thing that can stop the misery. For most of the last century, the soviets did their level best to destroy the inherent faith of the Ukrainian people. Many still holding power in Ukraine are unfortunately holdovers from that evil regime. At least now, Slava Bohu, it is possible to re-seed ...

Kiki said...

If you liked the secret I suggest you see "What the bleep do we know".
It also focuses on the effect our thoughts have on the energy around us.
Also check this out, https://www.hado.net/
Ironically enough (though there is really no such thing as a coincidence) I have been struggling today with the knowledge that someone I know is neglecting her daughter because of substance abuse, I was at a loss for ideas but reading your post has helped me to remember.

Pawlina said...

Glad my post was of help, Kiki.

I recall now hearing about "What the bleep" a while ago. I hadn't heard of hado, tho. Very interesting.

It's looking like the positive precepts of The Secret pose a real threat to the status-quo, be it Christian or athiest.

Quite a downer, as resistance to change is such an efficient red herring. My biggest disappointment is in the negative Christian reaction. Here is a great tool to reel in lost souls but instead, they're throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Sigh.

My day (and mood) will, however, get better soon...